Data protection rules will be undergoing some changes which will come into force on 25th May 2018 and become part of UK Law. It will change how businesses and public-sector organisations can handle the information of patients.
GDPR means that we at North Kessock Dental Practice will be more accountable for handling of people’s personal information and as such, we have updated our data protection policies.
What personal information do we hold?
To ensure that we provide patients with a high standard of dental care, we need to hold their personal information. This personal data will typically include:
- Past and current medical and dental condition; personal details such as age, address, telephone number, email address and general medical practitioner
- Radiographs, clinical photographs and study models
- Information about their treatment that we have provided or propose and the related cost
- Notes of conversations or incidents that might occur, for which a record needs to be kept
- Records of consent to treatment
- Any correspondence relating to them and other health care professionals, for example in the hospital or Specialist dentists.
Why do we hold information about you?
We need to keep comprehensive and accurate personal data about patients to provide you with safe and appropriate dental treatment. Without this information we would be unable to carry out your dental care. We will ask you annually to update your medical history and contact details.
We will retain your full dental records including radiographs, study models and referral letters while you are a practice patient and after you cease to be a patient, for at least eleven years, or for children until age 25, whichever is the lengthier period.
Keeping your information secure
Personal data about you is held on the practice’s computer system and referral letters are manually filed in a secure room. The information is only accessible to authorised team members of the North Kessock Dental Practice. Your records are held on a secure server and are backed up daily.
Who your information may be shared with
To provide proper and safe dental care we may need to disclose personal information about you to:
- Your general medical practitioner
- Raigmore or other NHS hospitals
- Other health professionals providing care to you
- Private dental scheme – Highland Dental Plan, if you are a member
- Specialist Dentists – Oral surgeons who remove wisdom teeth or provide implants
- Third parties as required by law
Disclosure will take place on a ‘need-to-know’ basis. Only those individuals/organisations who need the information to provide care for you and for the proper administration of Government will be given the information.
In very limited circumstances or when required by law or a court order, personal data may have to be disclosed to a third party not connected with your health care. In all other situations, disclosure that is not covered by this Code of Practice will only occur when we have your specific consent. Where possible you will be informed of these requests for disclosure.
Requesting your records
You have the right of access to the data that we hold about you and to receive a copy. Parents may access their child’s records if this is in the child’s best interests and not contrary to a competent child’s wishes. Formal applications for access must be in writing to The Practice principal – Peter Murray.
You can make a request to correct any mistakes in your information. If you would like us to do this you can contact the practice on 01463 731806 or contact us by email: email@example.com.
We will need appropriate information to identify you – name, address and date of birth.
If you do not consent
You have a right to withdraw your consent at any time, however this will not be retrospective.
If you have any questions about this policy or the information we hold about you please contact us:
Post: North Kessock Dental Practice, Main St, North Kessock, IV1 3XN
Tel: 01463 731806